MAX Transit is seeking a motivated professional to plan innovative transit services and improve access and mobility for MAX passengers. Develops, analyzes, and reports specific recommendations regarding the development of the Authority’s public transit projects, plans, and services; provides expertise and direction in transit planning activities; develops methods of operation to best meet public demand for service. Work with Mobility Manager to address accessibility needs and improve transit service for passengers. Develop budgets and write grant applications. Uses economic, population, land use, demographic/travel data, and traffic projections to substantiate and recommend transportation development projects and plans; employs special transit studies and surveys to determine customer satisfaction. Recommends service improvements and modifications and coordinates changes internally (route design, run-cutting, bus stop locations, service performance); participates in the development of the short- and long-range transit plans; prepares various staff reports and project updates for management and Authority Board review. Ideal candidates are highly organized and demonstrate a proactive approach to ensure timely project delivery.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Project management to maintain project schedules, annual milestone reports, and coordinate planning tasks.
- Monitor and report fixed route and demand response on-time rates to evaluate service changes, identify “running hot” or slowdown areas due to ridership demands.
- Oversee route planning, bus stop locations, and service performance reporting; monitors and evaluates performance metrics and service levels; analyzes problems, identifies alternative solutions.
- Tests and recommends route alterations and any needed time point changes; projects consequences of proposed actions; coordinates the internal review of planned changes; implements recommendations with appropriate departmental staff.
- Works with Mobility Manager to organize, distribute, and collect passenger surveys on a bi-annual basis; using data to determine route planning, and identify other modifications to enhance services.
- Meets with and responds to inquiries by members of the public regarding transit needs, system or service modifications or proposals, and bus stop-related requests.
- Assists Mobility Manager with communique through oral, written, or visual form; may design leaflets and questionnaires for the purposes of communicating or receiving feedback from the public.
- Works with Mobility Manager & Procurement Coordinator to write grant applications to fund transit projects.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of mass transit planning.
- Excellent written communication and research skills
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Analytical – Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Diversity – Promotes harassment-free environment; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Treats people with respect.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or equivalent.
- Two years or more of transit planning experience preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to work independently.
- Regular and Predictable attendance.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English clearly.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Office software.
- Data entry experience.
- General knowledge of Windows based computer operating systems.
- ArcGIS or other geographic information system software preferred.